Tuesday, February 7, 2012

EDUC 6305 Advanced Educ.Tech. Millennials Activity 17

How  Millennial are you?

I was born in 1965 and scored  a what?
Millennials are confident, outgoing and open to change.   Well, the definition fits my personality, but my score from the Millennial Quiz certainly surprised me, because I’ve always been categorized as a “baby-boomer/gen-x”.   My millennial profile must be indicative of being a teacher and the desire to not be left in my students “tracks”.  It’s imperative for teachers to understand or “get” our students.  Our students are the information mind-set group.  As teachers, if we don’t understand the way they learn, think, and socialize, how are we going to be effective teachers?  If we continue our traditional ways, it’s as if we are fighting a battle, a battle that is not in the best interest of our students. 

The 10 attributes of  the Information-Age Mindset: 

(1) Computers aren’t Technology:  In and Out  I’m in the middle.  I gravitate toward devices and gadgets and sometimes do not read directions.  But, most of the time I’m a manual reader.  Also, I would say that computers are technology, but not indicative of 21st Century skills and teaching, the computer is the tool.
(2)Internet better than T.V:  In  I rarely watch t.v., mainly  news channels in the morning. I prefer to retrieve information from my devices. Using Web 2.0 allows for collaboration and interaction.  Watching t.v. can be mind-numbing.
(3) Reality no longer real:  In  Critical media literacy skills must be used to analyze and interpret media. As participants in media literacy, we need to be critical consumers and possess the skills to differentiate between reality and fiction.
(4) Doing rather than thinking: In  My school years are a true reflection of being forced to memorize and learn facts. Being put into authentic situations to solve complex problems and sort through an abundance of information was rare.  Our students will be expected to participate in a global society and will need the skills to be an effective member of society.
(5) Nintendo over logic: In  I was part of the trial- and error experimentation approach to learning,  I agree with the “Nintendo” theory, keep trying, failing, and trying until you succeed.
 (6)Multi-Tasking way of Life:  Definitely In  I’m 100 % into multitasking,  I can’t do just one thing, most of the time.  Reminding myself to not be a hypocrite, if I can do it, then I must have faith when my son is listening to music, playing a video game and studying.. whew...
 (7) Typing/Handwriting:  In  I do not enjoy handwriting notes (any longer), and my writing legibility has gone downhill.  I agree that it is the power behind the “typing” that’s relevant, not so much understanding traditional keyboarding skills.
 (8) Staying connected:  In  I can’t imaging not having my phone or another device in my reach at all times.  Staying connected has become a natural part of my daily routine.
 (9) Zero Tolerance for Delays: In   Guilty… guilty of wanting immediate responses, guilty of expecting businesses to available 24/7.
 (10) Consumer/Creator blurring: In  Consuming and using material for educational purposes is part of creating digital media.   As teachers, accessing the most up-to-date material and sharing with our students is relevant.  

NETS-T:  Teachers participating and analyzing self-assessments or surveys are modeling professional growth.  To be effective, teachers should use the results to impact student learning.
 5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership  

contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession and of their school and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment