Monday, May 21, 2012

EDUC 6809 Introductory Post/Youtube Video


Hello Everyone,

My name is Mary Jo Swiger, and  I reside in Fairview, WV with my husband, Cliff, and son, Austin.  My teaching certification is Elementary Education, K-8 Multi-Subjects.  Currently, I am working on a Masters of Education with a concentration in Digital Media, New Literacies and Learning.  The spring of 2013 is my expected graduation date.  I've been teaching in Marion County, WV for 18 years and have taught  1st, 3rd, 5th, and 6th graders.  In addition to teaching, I've coached junior high basketball, track and cross country.  This past school year brought change in my 5th grade teaching routine at Fairview Middle School.   I spent the 2011-2012 school year working as a Professional Development School Coordinator and teaching assistant at Fairmont State University.  The opportunity to work with 40 professional development schools  and teaching Instructional Technology at FSU is a marked highlight in my professional career.  While working on my Masters, I continue to ask myself, "What's next?"  I'm not really sure what is next, but I'm networking and seeking new possibilities.  
There are varying definitions of literacy, and the definition of literacy is ever-changing.  A basic definition:  The ability to use information and communication technologies to locate, evaluate, summarize, synthesize and relay the information to others. What I'd like to get from this course?   I'm anxious to acquire the knowledge and skills to create an engaging "new literacies" classroom.

(Youtube video: What Does it Mean to be Literate in the 21st Century?)

No comments:

Post a Comment