Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Educ 6809 Literacy Autobiography Post #2



  • Principal Turner: Miss Riley, our job is to give these kids an education.
  • Miss Riley: Mmm-hmm.
    Principal Turner:
     Not false hopes.
    Miss Riley:
     False hopes? Do you want me to sit quiet, let 'em breathe in coal dust the rest of their life?
    Principal Turner:
     Miss Riley, once in a while... a lucky one..will get out on a football scholarship. The rest of 'emwork in the mines.
    Miss Riley:
     How 'bout I believe in the unlucky ones? Hmm? I have to, Mister Turner, I'd go out of my mind»
 I was the first person in my immediate family to graduate from college, and this book holds a double meaning for me.  My high school teachers were my inspiration and guiding force, and in turn, I feel that's what I should provide for my students.  When I first started teaching 6th grade, full-time in 1989,( of course I hadn't read the book yet) many of my students felt the only option was to become a coal miner.   I read this book about 8 or 9 years ago, and it helped me put some things into perspective about my life and what the lives of the students of WV might be like.

13 comments:

  1. It is a great book and a great movie to sit down with as well. The Rocket Boys still come back to West Virginia and do events, mainly rocket related. When I first started teaching I was subbing out a position till the end of the year when a contest was held for bottle rockets. Each school got to send their best rocket to Hite field in Clarksburg for the final. The Rocket Boys were their signing books and cheering on the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie, very inspirational for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book and a great movie. My sons loved the movie so much that they bought several rockets and let them off in our field. You should read other Homer Hickam books, he has some good ones. My husband really likes the Coalwood series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the Rocketmen spoke at a Pierpont Commencement. What an inspirational man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An absolutely amazing, TRUE story. I read many, many years ago. As a recent and FIRST generation college graduate I wish I had had a Miss Riley in my life many many years ago. Instead, I found mine at the age of 44!

    I visited Coalwood WV several years ago. I think perhaps, that would be an excellent direction to go with my illuminated text. Now to find a "piece" to illuminate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone told her backstory? Was there a remarkable influence in her life?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book/movie and considered writing a quote from another book written by Homer Hickam, called the Coalwood Way( I would recommend it). Both books are wonderful and describe the trials and tribulations of the time in great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this point that is being made. We as teachers do need to believe in the unlucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read this book; however, it is on my reading list. Hopefully, I'll get to that some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use this movie to show students that you can be whatever you want to be, even if you grew up in a poor, rural area.

    ReplyDelete