Thursday, November 17, 2011

DEJ Week 13: The Captain cannot Steer the Ship Alone...

Question 1: Should media education have an explicit political and ideological agenda?

Throughout this semester, I’ve been espousing that critical media literacy skills should be taught in the classroom.  If I don’t agree that media education should have an explicit political and ideological agenda, then I feel as if I would be a hypocrite.  In other words, if I’m going to “talk the talk, then I need to walk the walk”.  As an educator, I need to use my critical media literacy skills to help shape the political agenda for education.  If we say that we want our students to have a voice, to analyze, evaluate, construct messages and shape their communities, then I need to model these skills by taking part in the formation of a political agenda for our educational system.  But, I need more training and need to be part of educational forums and settings that advocate media literacy.  Also, take part in research and data collecting if I want my statements and opinions about teaching media literacy skills to be valued by a wide audience. After reading the Seven Great Debates, it was evident of how fragmented our country is when it comes to media literacy in schools.  It’s daunting.

Question 2: Based on your reading to date in this course, would you teach critical media literacy in the classroom?  Why or why not?  
 The Seven Great Debates also made me pause and reflect about how I’ve been portraying media literacy in my classroom. On occasion, I believe that I’ve been using impact mediation to teach media literacy.  Often focusing on problem areas, and trying to give my students the skills to make good decisions.  The article states that this method may be ineffective, and it made me think about how imposing my opinions and beliefs about their culture, may lead students to just adopt my position without really critically thinking about the issues for themselves.  I want my students to become “critical thinking citizens”… 

 "Summers states, “Teachers who recognize the goal of teaching thinking rather than just imparting knowledge help students make connections beyond the content of the coursework” (2005, pp. 2) She suggests teaching critical thinking by applying it to the study of media literacy. This practice gives students the skills and knowledge needed to “access, analyze, evaluate and communicate” (NAMLE) media messages."      Learn Critical Thinking through Media Literacy Education. (2010, October). In Medialiteracycolloquium'sblog: A Study in Media Literacy. Retrieved September 27, 2011, http://medialiteracycolloquium.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/learn-critical-thinking-through-media-literacy-education/Summers, S. L. (2005). Get Them Thinking! : Use Media Literacy to Prepare Students for State Assessments, pp. 2, 8, 9.

"By this point, you may be asking what does this have to do with media literacy? To educate the students, who are the future of the world and public, educators need to be brought up to speed on the present and future waves of technology that will ultimately distribute and provide news media to the masses. The educators need to be taught, so they can teach the future of the world of the news tools that are available to them. It would certainly be a work in progress, but in the far-off future, it would fix the problems of media illiteracy."     Educating the Educators. (2010, December). In Medialiteracycolloquium'sblog: A Study in Media Literacy. Retrieved September 27, 2011, from http://medialiteracycolloquium.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/educating-the-educators/

"A reconceptualized vision of new literacies education would include an explicit effort to enable students to acquire the ability to understand how visual media work to produce meanings. This effort would strive to develop literate people who are able to read, write, listen, talk, analyze, evaluate, and produce communications in a variety of media, including print, television, music, video, film, radio, hypertext, and the arts."
Semali, L. (2001, November). Defining new literacies in curricular practice. Reading Online, 5(4). Available: http://www.readingonline.org/newliteracies/lit_index.asp?HREF=semali1/index.html


My conclusion from many of the readings in this course is that, yes, I want to implement critical media literacy skills.  Right now, it may be in isolation, without community, parent support or education administrative support.  But, I want to become more knowledgeable about how to get the community involved, other teachers involved, curriculum adoption committees involved, and most importantly, to be using highly effective teaching strategies that enable my students to become critical thinkers and decision makers in their communities and society.



Description: Calvin College Hekman Library openURL resolver

2 comments:

  1. Great post. When you talk about a "political agenda for education", what are some of the specific items you this this agenda would address? Do you think it is better to have a political agenda that you present to students, or would you give them an issue and let them choose a stance to defend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As an educator, I need to use my critical media literacy skills to help shape the political agenda for education". I like this statement that you used. I do agree that if we are going to teach critical media literacy skills, that we should be properly trained and actively learning about the various media sources of today.

    ReplyDelete