Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sink or Swim? Double Journal Entry #1

Quote: " Despite the academy’s developing repertoire of theoretical approaches to media education, there is a strong disconnect between those who call for media literacy and current educational policies within US public schools.  In many ways, the recent focus on standardized testing, teaching to tests, and widespread use of uniform curricula leave little room for cross disciplinary approaches to media education.  In addition, the history of media education in the US has traditionally been under-funded and ignored by policy makers and educators alike (Goodman 2003)."


Reaction:  My initial reaction to this article was to place myself on a "rubber raft with a few patches" realizing this is my overall mindset of what is occurring in today's classroom in relation to media literacy.  As a teacher I want my classroom to be centered around 21st Century skills, students implementing critical thinking skills, sharing ideas and perceptions, debating issues and participating in collaborative activities.  However, the ideology of forcing students to embrace standardized testing as an acceptable way of measuring their abilities is instilling a belief or perception in students that if they are not proficient in certain content areas that their success will be limited.  Are we as a society going to allow our kids/students to sink or assist them in obtaining the necessary skills to be highly effective digital citizens?
Teachers need assistance and professional development to guide them in teaching students how to critically analyze and truly comprehend their role in a world saturated with media. 
Media Literacy v/s Critical Media Literacy:  Some aspects of media literacy include the ability to read, comprehend, write, communicate, design, publish and create a product.  Critical media literacy skills include the ability to critically evaluate, analyze, validate, and make informed decisions.
 
Reference: "Critical Media Literacy." I Resist n. pag. Web. <http://www.iresist.org/media.html>.

6 comments:

  1. Although I'm not a teacher, I can see how the "rubber raft" analogy applies. I wonder if the new teachers that we are producing will have any advantage over the teachers that went thru an education program years ago as we try to teach them 21st century skills. It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are at the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "rubber raft" analogy you stated in your reaction. In regards to Diana's comment, I do believe that us, younger teachers, have an advantage in incorporating 21st century skills into our curicula. With the fast and vast advancements in technology, more experienced teachers must keep up by taking additional courses or researching the latest news. This is a continual practice that ALL teachers must do. Soon, the newer teachers will become more experienced and new technology will be invented that they are unaware of occurring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fresh graduate out of college with no teaching experience. Whenever I begin teaching, I think I will be able to implement these skills effectively to my students and be a help to the other teachers that are new to technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that teachers need assistance in teaching students how to be critical thinkers in this media-crazed world! My students use words and phrases that I don't even know the meaning of, not to mention the sites they are accessing with such ease! Our students can use various forms of media technology with a greater ease than you or I!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your statement regarding media literacy vs. critical media literacy. I think it is spot-on and very well said! Hopefully, as educators and those working in the education field, we can promote critical media literacy to better prepare students for success in an ever-increasing media-influenced world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent discussion of the necessity and challenges for implementing critical media literacy in school. Hopefully after this course you will have some ideas for projects that will improve students thinking and reading skills to pass standardized test and meet West Virginia Professional Teaching standards!

    ReplyDelete